Summer Essentials

by - 11:41:00 AM


We're well into the summer now, and I have discovered an array of fantastic products that have earned their place in my seasonal favorites. Ranging from skincare to body to hair, I have winners in every category.

Skincare

Oille Renewing Intelligence Protect Face Serum ($88) 


This plant based, clinical grade serum is the best of the best. Oille's product ingredients are GC/MS lab tested, to assure their products are effective and pure. This serum's rosehip, cranberry, and pumpkin seed base absorbs into the skin beautifully, leaving you with a soft, nourished complexion. The mix of essential oils of lavender, chamomile, blue tansy, balsam copaiba, ravintsara and sweet orange come together to protect and repair the skin from sun damage. 






One can never have too many lip balms (especially if you're a suffer of chronically dry lips like I am) and this lip balm is the perfect summer addition to your collection. the light hydration, hint of color, and SPF have earned this little tube a permanent spot in my purse. It hydrates with the perfect balance of shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, and vitimin E. 



Herbivore Botanicals After Sun Skin Soother Aloe Mist ($20)

A cool, soothing skin mist is a requirement in any beach lover's skincare arsenal, and this one from Herbivoire Botanicals does not disappoint. It balances the skin with lavender, witch hazel, and radish root ferment, while the aloe and peppermint sooth, hydrate, and reduce redness. This is a fantastic toner all year round for anyone with sensitive skin, because the peppermint offers a cooling sensation.


Bath and Body


The Dirty Goat Probiotic Deodorant in Yuzu ($9.85)

It should be no surprise to anyone who follows me on my social media that I have multiple products from The Dirty Goat on this list.Their products are not only fun to use, but very effective and do exactly what they promise to, as exemplified in this fantastic deodorant. When switching all of my beauty and bodycare to clean, nontoxic products, I was at a bit of a slump when it came to a deodorant that actually works , after trying what must have been a dozen. But, this one hits the nail right on the head. Boasting a beautiful citrussy smell from Yuzu essential oil, it makes a wonderful summertime fragrance (but if citrus isn't your thing, other scents are available!). With an ingredient list of zinc oxide, diatomaceous earth, arrowroot powder and probiotics, it does so much more than just mask body odor- it actually fights it by killing the odor causing bacteria. 




This limited edition scrub is the epitome of a beach vacation. The scent of mandarin and jasmine on a salty breeze bring to mind my summers in Cape Cod, which is one of my favorite places. It's comforting and refreshing, and makes me wish i was laying on the beach. This scrub contains no soaps or surfectants, so it is an exfoliating and hydrating treat for your skin. Dead Sea salt, jojoba oil, almond oil, and vitamin E work together to smooth and soften the skin. Mica and turquoise food coloring make this a beautiful scrub fit for any mermaid.


The Dirty Goat Sugar Squares

Sadly, this sugary confection seems to be gone for the season as but we can only hope it makes a return next year! I don't tend to take many baths in the summer because it's just too hot, but this little melt makes the experience much more refreshing. With a perfectly replicated sweet and juicy lemonade smell, a single cube gives you a mouthwatering bath time experience. You can also use this product in the shower as a body scrub, and either way you'll be left with hydrated, buttery skin.



Keeping your face and body protected from the sun's damaging rays is the single most important step in your skincare routine, all year round. Even on the cloudiest day in January, we are exposed to aging and skin-cell altering rays, so it is imperative that we be extra diligent when it comes to the sunny summer months. I have been loving sunscreens from Badger this year. They offer many products, depending on what level of protection you desire and how active you are. They even offer formulations for babies and children, a lavender scented sunscreen, and a tinted facial sunscreen. Their products are made with zinc oxide, and won't harm coral reefs. I have not gotten a burn yet this year, and my pale Irish skin can thank Badger for that.  




In a perfect world, we would all remember to apply (and reapply!) our sunscreen on a daily basis, but I know for many people that just doesn't happen, and sunburn ensues. Luckily, aloe vera exists! I like to keepe aloe vera on hand to sooth my skin after sun exposure, whether I have a visible sunburn or not. I like to add a drop or two of peppermint and lavender essential oils to sooth and repair any damage, and it's a cooling and relaxing way to unwind after a day out in the hot sun, especially when stored in the fridge. Aloe vera also makes a great lightweight moisturizer for the body or face, and can be used to tame flyaways and balance the ph of the scalp and hair. My only guidelines when shopping is to find a brand with the fewest preservatives and additives possible, and Amara Organics was the best out there, at 99.75% purity, and it's cold- pressed!




My favorite part of summer is exploring nature, sitting by a fire, or going for walks in the evening. My least favorite part of all those things? Bugs. I have always hated using bug spray, even well before I was aware of the concept of "clean" products. I could just tell that that synthetic chemical-laden mist was not something i wanted on my body or in my lungs. This year I found Out of The Woods (the T-Swift reference is adorable, btw) from The Dirty Goat, and I'm in LOVE. It is composed of bug deterring cedarwood, citronella, lavender, peppermint, tea tree, and clove essential oils. I actually enjoy the smell of this, it's so much more pleasant to wear than the traditional alternative. Aside from the essential oils, this just contains a simple base of  witch hazel, water, and vegetable glycerin.



Hair




Every mermaid needs beachy waves, and golden shimmer is the icing on the cake with this product. This spray imparts a shimmering mist of rose-scented sea salt, kelp, and aloe, to nourish, and add body to your hair. I always need a little lift in my roots, and this product does the job perfectly and leaves me feeling summer-ready. If you aren't a fan of the shimmer and glimmer, they do offer a mica-free version as well.







I use argan oil religiously no matter what time of year, but chlorinated pools, wind, and sun all take a toll on your hair. I apply a quarter size amount to the lower two-thirds of my hair (my hair is quite long) and it nourishes my dry, split ends and smooths everything out without looking greasy. I love using it before heat styling, because I find it helps my hairstyle hold up so much better. Shea Moisture is easily accessible (i got mine at Ulta, but they sell the brand in most drugstores, Walmart, and Target) and it is more affordable than many other brands. 







I hope you have discovered a few summer treats here, that you can make use of before the summer ends. Over the past few days I have started anticipating (and maybe even getting a little excited for?) the upcoming fall, but I have lots left to do before the summer is over, and hopefully some more summer themed products to try. Enjoy the last few weeks of the season, and don't forget that SPF!






You May Also Like

2 comments