Blueberry Roulade

by - 1:09:00 PM


Roulades are quite a new concept to me, and I’ve had my eye on both Dreamwash and Icing on the Cake for a while. I was excited to try a sample of their blueberry-scented sibling, which was in a handful of surprise product samples in a recent Kitchen order. Upon first sniff, I wasn’t all that impressed. I was hoping for a sweeter blueberry scent, something fresh and fruity, but what I found was far from it. While not the most unpleasant thing I’ve ever smelled from Lush, I wouldn’t exactly call it mouthwatering. I found it to be a very natural blueberry scent, and quite earthy and even a bit sour. Very unlike the homemade jam scent I was expecting!
As I mentioned above, I am new to the whole roulade thing. It is a soft but solid bar shape, so I assumed it would be easy enough to use it like a bar soap. Unfortunately, It was not so simple. I dug my little grape tomato sized chunk of roulade out of the container, wet it, and attempted to lather it directly onto my body, but this proved to be rather slippery and messy. When mixed with the warm water, the roulade got a bit softer, so it squished unpleasantly in my hands and pieces fell off and a lot of product got wasted. It also didn’t produce much lather to speak of. I really didn’t like using this directly on my skin, so I decided to use it on my netted sponge the next time I used it.
With the netted sponge, I had slightly better results, but it was really more effort than it was worth. just rubbing the roulade on the sponge didn’t give me any lather to work with, so I ended up mashing it into the netting and really working it in, to finally produce some suds to work with. What lather I had didn’t stretch very far, and the bits of roulade fell out of my netted sponge and made a mess of the shower.
After washing with both methods, I didn’t feel any more moisturized than I would with a shower gel, or even a traditional soap. I certainly didn’t feel the moisturizing effects of soya milk, coconut oil, almond oil, or cocoa butter. On paper, this sounded beautiful and nourishing, but in reality, I just found this a really disappointing product overall, and I’m apprehensive to try the sample of Orange Roulade that I received. I would never spend close to $13 on this product!
Rating: 1/5
Price: 
  • £8.50 ($12.84) for 100g
  • £21.25 ($32.11) for 250g
Status: UK Exclusive
Vegan?: Yes
Would I repurchase? No
Ingredients: Fresh Blueberries (Vaccinium myrtillus), Rapeseed Oil: Coconut Oil (Brassica napus;Cocos nuciferal), Glycerine, Water (Aqua), Soya Milk (Glycine soja), Organic Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis), Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Perfume, Olibanum Oil (Boswellia carterii), Osmanthus Absolute (Osmanthus fragrans), Sandalwood Oil (Santalum austro-caledonicum vieill), Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Farnesol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Colour 17200.  

You May Also Like

0 comments