Coalface Facial Soap

by - 2:29:00 PM

To say I was unsure about truing a solid facial soap was an understatement. Basically, everything you learn about bar soap in Esthetics school is that it is bad, and you shouldn’t use it on your body, and you most certainly should never use it on your delicate face! Of course, these warnings are aimed more at traditional, harsh soaps with damaging ingredients, that Lush tends to leave out of their products. The composition of Coalface is very far from that which makes up a standard drugstore brand soap- Lush does not use tallow, lye, lauric acid, titanium dioxide, or any other ingredients that are still used in soaps that cause dryness, irritation, and not much benefit. Instead, the majority of ingredients in Coalface are very natural, and boast many benefits that not only cleanse the skin, but improve the overall condition. 
First on the list is liquorice root decoction. Liquorice root is known to be  antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and moisturizing, which means that it is fantastic for treating acne (which is essentially a clogged, infected pore) by killing the bacteria, soothing swelling and redness, as well as keeping your skin from feeling stripped. This soap also contains rosewood oil to act as an additional antiseptic, as well as add an uplifting aroma.  
Rapeseed oil and coconut oil are two oils that are fantastic for moisturizing the skin. Of course, coconut oil is pretty comedogenic for some skin types, so if you are prone to acne, this may prove to be a problem. I have had good luck so far, despite being acne prone, and I have not noticed any increased clogging- but we will get to that in a moment. 
Powdered charcoal is an ingredient that has become increasingly popular in recent years for it’s oil absorbing properties. In this soap, it also lends a slightly rough texture which means you’re also getting a gentle exfoliant along with your cleanse. Sodium Chloride (or salt) also acts as an exfoliant, while cleaning the skin. It’s also used to formulate the soap base.
Of course, Coalface is not 100% natural. It does contain  a few humectants such as sorbitol and glycerin, to give the soap a consistency that spreads easily on the skin. Sodium Hydroxide to react with coconut oil and rapeseed oil to create a soap base, instead of a more traditional combination such as tallow and lye. SLS, while not the best ingredient because it can be drying and irritating, produces a foamy, cleansing lather. EDTA and  Tetrasodium Etidronat safely preserve the color, scent and consistency of the product.
So looking at the ingredients, quite a few jump out to prove this is a good choice for those with oilier or acne prone complexions. While I do not have a particularly oily face, I do suffer from some truly awful hormonal acne, that until now, has been very difficult to improve. I have tried many different cleansers and other skincare products that have claimed to work wonders on acne, but they did not do much for me. Hormonal acne comes from under the skin, so it’s not just as easy as washing your face to get rid of it. Luckily, Coalface is one of few topical products that has actually made a difference in my skin. I started using this facial soap while I was in the middle of one of the worst breakouts I’ve ever had- my jawline and chin was completely covered, I had mountain ranges on both temples, and a smattering of spots on my cheeks and forehead. My skincare at the time was obviously not effective, so I was so glad once my order containing Coalface finally showed up. 
I washed my face with Coalface, and was a little concerned with how stripped my face felt while rinsing, but luckily once I patted myself dry, my skin felt supple again. I spritzed my face with my usual toner and put on my moisturizer, and went to bed. In the morning, I did notice my acne was reduced. Most of my spots had shrunk noticeably, and redness and inflammation was improved. I decided to continue washing with coalface once each day, and over the next week, my skin cleared by about 80%. 
I have been using Coalface for about 3 weeks now, and my skin has not yet returned to the awful mess it was before. My face is not completely clear by any stretch, but I have not broken out once on my forehead since I’ve started using this, and I never have more than 4 or 5 pimples at any given time now. I do not notice my skin becoming any drier, or more oily since I have started using this, so that is fantastic. I am really glad I have introduced this soap into my routine, and I hope it continues to improve my skin.
Rating: 4/5
Price: 
  • UK - £5.25/100g, £13.10/250g, £26.25/500g
  • US - $13.95/ 3.5oz
Status: Permanent
Vegan?: Yes
Would I repurchase? Yes
Ingredients: Liquorice Root Decoction, Propylene Glycol, Rapeseed Oil and Coconut Oil, Water, Perfume, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Powdered Charcoal, Sandalwood Oil, Rosewood Oil, Glycerine, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, *Geraniol, *Linalool, Silver Edible Lustre. 

You May Also Like

0 comments