Mint Julips Lip Scrub

by - 12:39:00 PM

Looking through the jar of Lip scrubs that my local Lush currently offers, I was disappointed to find that it was monopolized by the Bubblegum and Popcorn flavors, and not a Mint Julips in sight. I have nothing against popcorn or bubblegum, I just really didn’t like the sound of them as lip products. I had tried Bubblegum before, grudgingly, when a friend insisted, but it wasn’t for me. I loved the feeling and results of the scrub, so I set out to find Mint Julips, the one flavor that sounded truly delicious. I stood there digging through the jar at lush, and almost gave up hope before I saw the last little jar of minty glory that remained. I grabbed it, made my purchases, and almost ran to the car because I was so eager to try it. 
Now, I highly recommend that you wash your hands before using this, or any other product that requires you to dip your finger into a tub. In my excitement I disregarded all I knew about product sanitation, dug in, and smeared the scrub all over my lips with my grimy finger, tarnished with a days worth of mall crawling. Stupid in hind sight, but we all have our moments. Either way, unhygienic or not, I was instantly convinced this was the most magnificent lip scrub I had ever and will ever try. 
As with all of lush’s lip scrubs, this one is 100% edible. Made almost entirely of ingredients you would find in your kitchen, it contains just 7 ingredients - caster sugar, jojoba oil, vanilla extract, tagetes oil, peppermint oil, limonene, and flavor. We are all familiar with the flavor and uses for peppermint and vanilla in cooking, but did you know tagetes oil has been used as a seasoning since the ancient Inca? It as a minty flavor, and like peppermint, it is antimicrobial which helps to preserve your product naturally. vanilla is significant here because it contains antioxidants and also has humectant properties, which means it traps in moisture to keep your lips hydrated. Jojoba oil (pronounced like “ho-ho-ba”) also aids in keeping lips moisturized. And of course, caster sugar is what gives this scrub it’s sweet and scrubby properties.
I found this scrub to do a fantastic job at exfoliating my lips, especially because I was just getting over a cold at the time, so my lips were extra chapped. All you do is scoop out a small amount, and put it on your lips. You can then either rub the product in with your finger, or by rubbing your lips together. Remove the scrub by wiping it off, or (my preferred method) lick it off! You might find, especially if you choose to remove the product by licking, that your lips still feel a little dehydrated afterwards. I recommend following this product with a lip balm, I find that chocolatey Whipstick Lip Balm pairs very nicely with the mint. I find that I only need to use this a few times a week, so I imagine this tiny jar will last me a very long time
Rating: 5 out of 5
Price: 
  • UK £5.50 for 25g
  • US $9.95 for .9oz
Status: Permanent
Vegan?: Yes
Would I repurchase?: Yes
Ingredients:  Castor Sugar, Cold Pressed Organic Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis), Vanilla Extract (Vanilla planifolia), Tagetes Oil (Tagetes minuta), Peppermint Oil (Mentha piperita), *Limonene, Flavor.*Occurs naturally in essential oils

You May Also Like

0 comments